macOS Ventura (macOS 13) is the 19th version of Apple's macOS operating system. It followed macOS Monterey (macOS 12) and was released to the public on October 24, 2022.
macOS 13 Ventura includes a few significant user interface changes. The most notable update is the introduction of Stage Manager, a new window management tool. It works much like the Spaces desktop manager and allows you to arrange app windows into groups and quickly switch between them. The window groups appear as thumbnails on the left edge of the screen, so you can see at a glance what apps and windows are in each one. Each desktop in Spaces can have its own set of Stage Manager window groups.
Ventura also gave the System Preferences window a significant update. Now renamed to System Settings, it features a new design similar to the Settings apps on iOS and iPadOS. The new app reorganizes Settings options into new categories, accessible via a navigation sidebar.
macOS Ventura includes several new built-in apps:
- Freeform is a collaborative canvas app that you can use for creating quick sketches and taking notes. You can see the contributions of others in real time, just like working on a real whiteboard. Freeform is also available for iOS and iPadOS.
- A new Weather app, based on the one from iOS, is now available on the Mac. It shows animated weather conditions, hourly and 10-day forecasts, and detailed weather maps.
- The Clock app from iOS and iPadOS also comes to the Mac. You can set alarms and timers in the app or through Siri, and see world clocks on a built-in map.
Several OS-level improvements also come with macOS Ventura. Some of those improvements include:
- Continuity Camera now allows you to use an iPhone's rear-facing camera as a webcam for FaceTime calls and any other video-calling app. It works wirelessly and automatically once the Mac and iPhone are near each other with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled. This feature requires an iPhone XR or newer.
- Passkey support is added to Safari, so you can now sign in to supported websites without using a password.
- iCloud Shared Photo Library lets multiple members of an iCloud Family Sharing plan use a shared photo library. Anyone in the family can add, edit, and delete photos in the shared library.
- Messages gains the ability to edit and un-send recent messages.
- Mail adds "send later" and "undo send" options.
macOS Ventura supports MacBook Pros, iMacs, and iMac Pros released in 2017 and later, MacBook Airs and Mac Minis released in 2018 or later, Mac Pros released in 2019 or later, and the Mac Studio.